You can get nearly every questions answered in our Prison Visit FAQ sheet. However, here are the most common items people ask:
When you arrive at the prison, park anywhere in the parking lot, except in the reserved spaces. Do NOT leave your car unlocked and do NOT leave your windows open (not even cracked!). If you do, it will be towed. Come in the front door and tell the receptionist you are here for PEP.
PROFESSIONAL DRESS REQUIRED
We are all business at PEP and that includes our attire. Extreme hair styles/colors are not allowed by TDCJ as is jewelry worn on facial areas (nose, eyebrows or tongue). If you have questions please visit TDCJ’s website and review their Handbook for Volunteers. Dress code as well as other matters are addressed there. The dress code is business professional. Please avoid wearing cologne or perfume.
Gentlemen: Wear a suit or a sport coat with slacks. A tie is optional. No open-toed shoes.
Ladies: Refrain from wearing dresses, skirts or cropped pants. TDCJ rules require that ladies dress modestly and conservatively, PEP recommends slacks and a jacket/sweater over a blouse that is not sheer or low cut (in the front or in the back). Both shoulders and the midriff area must be covered at all times. Sheer fabrics or tight fitting clothing such as slacks or pants are not allowed.
Executive Volunteers are allowed into prison at the discretion of the warden and his/her security staff; if a volunteer is not dressed appropriately they may not be allowed into the unit. If you have questions about your clothing please err on the side of moderation. Volunteers should feel free to call our office at (832) 767-0928 with any questions/ concerns about your visit to prison.
YOU MUST BRING
- Driver’s license, state ID or passport. (Please bring the same ID you used to RSVP.)
DO NOT BRING
- Firearms or weapons – not even in the parking lot!
- Cell phone, PDA or pagers (This is a felony in Texas!)
- Wallet, purse or briefcase
- Money of any kind, coins, currency (or stamps)
- Business cards
- Writing instruments or paper (these items will be made available to you by PEP)
- Tobacco or alcohol products
- Food or drink of any kind
- Medication – if you need to take medication during your visit, please notify us so we can make appropriate arrangements
- Anything else not pre-approved by PEP staff
IF REQUIRED, YOU MAY ALSO BRING
- Jewelry (not to be removed once you pass through security)
- Car keys (do NOT leave these in your car and do NOT lay down inside prison)
- Tissue, Lip Balm
- Medication (by prior arrangement only)
Note: We will provide pens and notepads inside the unit, if needed.